Skip to main content

You're Doing A Good Job

My uncle passed away last year so my aunt is having an estate sale and moving back to Scotland, where she is from. My mom and her friend were at the house organizing the sale with my aunt. Because I was working this morning, my daughter Ella was with them as well.

After working a couple of hours, my sister and I met up at the house and we all went to grab lunch. Little did I know what was about to happen on the car ride over. Ella was quiet on the quick drive, a normal thing. But when I got out of the car and went around to open Ella's door, she had managed to take Aunties (my sister's) lipstick with her and got it EVERYWHERE. Of course it was a red tube of lipstick, so it was almost terrifying to see when I opened her door. I may have screamed. (definitely screamed).

We laughed about it, cleaned her up as best as we could and went inside the restaurant.

Towards the end of the meal Ella was getting fussy, as she needed a nap after playing with two Scottish Terriers all morning. She threw some chips, a water cup, chucked her fork, which landed under a guy's shoe. She then proceeded to start screaming. As any mom does, you try a few different things to flip the mood but she was definitely in her cranky state as long as we stayed in the restaurant. All normal almost 2 year old stuff of course, I am not even phased by it anymore. Best option at this point was to take her outside for some fresh air. 

So on my way out there was an older mom (older than me, I mean. Around 30 perhaps) looking at me sympathetically and I told her what happened with the lipstick. She responded, "You're doing a good job." 

You're doing a good job.

Those words resonated in my head as I walked out the door and around outside with my daughter. I wish more moms were verbally supportive of each other. Especially being the young and single parenting mom that I am. As a single parent, having confidence every day on how well you are doing with your parenting is a challenge. Especially when people around you say to 'do this and this and this.' To have another more 'experienced' mom, who is a total stranger, tell me I was doing a good job meant the world to me. I encourage all moms to let others know when you notice that they are doing a good job. We all know the words of encouragement help, as it is an emotionally and physically exhausting job, that is 100% worth it. 

With that said, any time I doubt myself, I take one look at my amazing daughter and know I am doing a good job. Generally speaking I am very confident in my parenting and my relationship with my daughter, she's literally my best friend. We do everything together and I can't even imagine a world without her because she is my world. She isn't on a perfect sleep schedule, sometimes I give her French fries, and she might go bonkers in restaurants or in public because I refuse to give her my phone. I am not too worried about that because at the end of the day we always have each other and I can always put a smile on her face.

P.S. I didn't forget about all the dads out there! Dads need encouragement too! Especially the young and single dads that make an effort in raising their kid(s). So when you see it, let them know.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saftey Hazards Aren't Always A Bad Thing

As much as I’d love for the house to be pristine at all hours of the day, it isn’t. And recently, I’ve learned that this is perfectly OK. Just five years ago, I refused to go to sleep unless the house looked flawless and the sink was completely empty. Every surface had to be wiped down, every toy put away, every last dish cleaned. Now, we go to sleep most nights with a sink full of dishes and at least one part of the house in total disarray. Sometimes it’s a carefully arranged doll village set up in my room. Other times it’s glitter and tiny cut-up pieces of paper scattered across the playroom floor, a fort taking over the living room, or some wildly elaborate animal-and-blanket fortress creeping up the stairs. And honestly? That’s okay. On the bright side, the sink is full of dishes because we ate good food together. The doll village exists because my daughters are creating stories, imagining family dynamics, and bonding as sisters. The glitter and scraps of paper mean they’re experim...

The Perfect Man

  I’m pretty sure I just saw the man of my dreams… And now he’s gone… Forever. I was at the post office getting money orders when a handsome cowboy walks in right behind me.   He had a nice brown cowboy hat, blue button up shirt, some rather nice fitting jeans and boots, of course. At that moment I realized something….. I should probably start dressing better. I was wearing a Lion King sweatshirt with black cutoff shorts and sandals. Not even cute sandals, they were basically slides but for a boat. If that makes sense. I stood there in line, trying to look as confident and pretty as possible, but you can only be so pretty with your hair in a bun wearing a sweatshirt and grungy shorts.   I made attempts to steal glances at him, but he didn’t notice. It wasn’t long until I was called up to the cashier and was then having to socialize with the cashier while he printed my money orders.   The cowboy was right beside me with the other teller and all I could do was try to s...

Curve Ball

Back in July, life threw a curveball and I wound up pregnant, quite surprisingly, again. You know when society (and the box it comes in) says the morning after pill works as long as you take it within 72 hours? Well, I took it 12 hours later and it didn’t work. I thought I was being responsible for preventing pregnancy and it turns out life had other plans, and that’s okay. But those of you who would implode if they got pregnant, NEVER use plan B/ the morning after pill. I did some research and found if you ovulate within that window before you take the pill, it essentially becomes ineffective if there are some strong swimmers in there. So $40 later that tiny little thing was pointless. I was about 4 weeks along the process when I figured out what was happening. My period was late, which it had been for the last 5 months due to stress I presume, but something inside me said it wasn’t just a late period. I had an old test lying around. It was about 6am and I decided to take it before my...