Skip to main content

"Strawlternatives"

Let's be real, plastic has formed a case towards being extremely negative on the environment. Not only is plastic non biodegradable, but it actually breaks down into smaller and smaller pieces entering our oceans and even the food and beverages Americans are consuming.


Right now the sea life is taking a pretty big hit. I came across a video in which a straw had been stuck in a sea turtle's nostril. This made me think about every straw I have ever used and where it ended up. The results are devastating. On average, lets say you use just one straw a day. That turns into 365 straws a year, 1,825 straws every 5 years, and 29,200 straws over the course of 80 years.


It's time to talk 'strawlternatives' (straw alternatives):


1. REUSABLE. Rather than throwing away straw after straw after straw after straw, (you get the idea) reuse one straw for a few days, the week, or even purchase a non throw away straw made of a thicker (preferably recyclable) plastic, glass or stainless steel.


2. GO PAPER. Amazon has a great selection of paper straws to chose from, not only are they colorful but 100% biodegradable! If you use 1 straw a day, you will spend roughly $20.00 for the whole year. If that safes an innocent animal, I'm all for it.


3. STOP SUCKING. Opting out of straw consumption isn't a bad idea let alone a difficult one. When you go to restaurants they almost always hand you paper wrapped straws. Shooting the wrapper at one of your family members might be fun, but the sea life and/ or environment will thank you for opting out. You should smile at the fact you could be saving a sea turtle not at the fact you shot your sister in the eye with the end of the paper wrapper.


4. GET CRAFTY. Unfortunately the majority of straws are not recyclable because the material used to manufacture them is either too weak for reuse, or mixed with other ingredients, which make them non-recyclable. However, bring out your creative side and use straws for children's crafting and jewelry making, home decor items, or even to decorate cards with.


Overall, minimizing the amount of straw waste begins with you. And you. And you. Think before you use a straw and what you plan to do with it after. Consider stawlternatives and your earth will thank you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saftey Hazards Aren't Always A Bad Thing

As much as I’d love for the house to be pristine at all hours of the day, it isn’t. And recently, I’ve learned that this is perfectly OK. Just five years ago, I refused to go to sleep unless the house looked flawless and the sink was completely empty. Every surface had to be wiped down, every toy put away, every last dish cleaned. Now, we go to sleep most nights with a sink full of dishes and at least one part of the house in total disarray. Sometimes it’s a carefully arranged doll village set up in my room. Other times it’s glitter and tiny cut-up pieces of paper scattered across the playroom floor, a fort taking over the living room, or some wildly elaborate animal-and-blanket fortress creeping up the stairs. And honestly? That’s okay. On the bright side, the sink is full of dishes because we ate good food together. The doll village exists because my daughters are creating stories, imagining family dynamics, and bonding as sisters. The glitter and scraps of paper mean they’re experim...

The Perfect Man

  I’m pretty sure I just saw the man of my dreams… And now he’s gone… Forever. I was at the post office getting money orders when a handsome cowboy walks in right behind me.   He had a nice brown cowboy hat, blue button up shirt, some rather nice fitting jeans and boots, of course. At that moment I realized something….. I should probably start dressing better. I was wearing a Lion King sweatshirt with black cutoff shorts and sandals. Not even cute sandals, they were basically slides but for a boat. If that makes sense. I stood there in line, trying to look as confident and pretty as possible, but you can only be so pretty with your hair in a bun wearing a sweatshirt and grungy shorts.   I made attempts to steal glances at him, but he didn’t notice. It wasn’t long until I was called up to the cashier and was then having to socialize with the cashier while he printed my money orders.   The cowboy was right beside me with the other teller and all I could do was try to s...

Curve Ball

Back in July, life threw a curveball and I wound up pregnant, quite surprisingly, again. You know when society (and the box it comes in) says the morning after pill works as long as you take it within 72 hours? Well, I took it 12 hours later and it didn’t work. I thought I was being responsible for preventing pregnancy and it turns out life had other plans, and that’s okay. But those of you who would implode if they got pregnant, NEVER use plan B/ the morning after pill. I did some research and found if you ovulate within that window before you take the pill, it essentially becomes ineffective if there are some strong swimmers in there. So $40 later that tiny little thing was pointless. I was about 4 weeks along the process when I figured out what was happening. My period was late, which it had been for the last 5 months due to stress I presume, but something inside me said it wasn’t just a late period. I had an old test lying around. It was about 6am and I decided to take it before my...