Skip to main content

What She Actually Means

Women have two forms of speech, literal, and their own versions of figurative. I have come to realize my mom‘s version of "Just a second," "I’m ready," or "I’m on the way," has a very figurative meaning. I however, speak literally when I say "Just a second," I am grabbing my keys and walking out the door. "I’m ready," means that I am waiting to leave and I am fully ready to do so. "I’m on the way," means I am physically driving in my car and on the way to the destination. 

On the flip side, my mom's version of "Just a second," actually means she may or may not be about to get in the shower, still needs to get dressed, put some makeup on and of course, blow dry her hair.  "I’m ready," in fact means she is at least dressed though her hair is still dripping wet and she may or may not be in the middle of putting her makeup on. "I’m ready," may also look like dripping hair, and trying on all three of her new jeans she bought the other day while also contemplating what shoes to wear and if she can find her black converse after their sudden disappearance. My mom's version of "On the way," means she is still in her room possibly changing her shirt and putting her shoes on. Though one of her most famous versions of "On the way" is standing in the line at Starbucks and chatting with the baristas or the other "regulars" in line. 

This is to say, 8:30am often means 8:45am and Starbucks is always necessary. 
Which one are you?

Comments

  1. Oh this is very funny! Because? It's SO right!☺️�� Much love to all it applies too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so imagined your mother while reading that... Spot on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saftey Hazards Aren't Always A Bad Thing

As much as I’d love for the house to be pristine at all hours of the day, it isn’t. And recently, I’ve learned that this is perfectly OK. Just five years ago, I refused to go to sleep unless the house looked flawless and the sink was completely empty. Every surface had to be wiped down, every toy put away, every last dish cleaned. Now, we go to sleep most nights with a sink full of dishes and at least one part of the house in total disarray. Sometimes it’s a carefully arranged doll village set up in my room. Other times it’s glitter and tiny cut-up pieces of paper scattered across the playroom floor, a fort taking over the living room, or some wildly elaborate animal-and-blanket fortress creeping up the stairs. And honestly? That’s okay. On the bright side, the sink is full of dishes because we ate good food together. The doll village exists because my daughters are creating stories, imagining family dynamics, and bonding as sisters. The glitter and scraps of paper mean they’re experim...

The Perfect Man

  I’m pretty sure I just saw the man of my dreams… And now he’s gone… Forever. I was at the post office getting money orders when a handsome cowboy walks in right behind me.   He had a nice brown cowboy hat, blue button up shirt, some rather nice fitting jeans and boots, of course. At that moment I realized something….. I should probably start dressing better. I was wearing a Lion King sweatshirt with black cutoff shorts and sandals. Not even cute sandals, they were basically slides but for a boat. If that makes sense. I stood there in line, trying to look as confident and pretty as possible, but you can only be so pretty with your hair in a bun wearing a sweatshirt and grungy shorts.   I made attempts to steal glances at him, but he didn’t notice. It wasn’t long until I was called up to the cashier and was then having to socialize with the cashier while he printed my money orders.   The cowboy was right beside me with the other teller and all I could do was try to s...

Curve Ball

Back in July, life threw a curveball and I wound up pregnant, quite surprisingly, again. You know when society (and the box it comes in) says the morning after pill works as long as you take it within 72 hours? Well, I took it 12 hours later and it didn’t work. I thought I was being responsible for preventing pregnancy and it turns out life had other plans, and that’s okay. But those of you who would implode if they got pregnant, NEVER use plan B/ the morning after pill. I did some research and found if you ovulate within that window before you take the pill, it essentially becomes ineffective if there are some strong swimmers in there. So $40 later that tiny little thing was pointless. I was about 4 weeks along the process when I figured out what was happening. My period was late, which it had been for the last 5 months due to stress I presume, but something inside me said it wasn’t just a late period. I had an old test lying around. It was about 6am and I decided to take it before my...