Skip to main content

Not So Easy

If you had asked me how my first year of marriage is going a month ago, I would've said "It's so easy, I love it." Now, however, although I still love it, being married is not easy.

It always sounds better when I mention the fact I've known Matt since I was 15 years old but in all honesty I haven't. Sure we went to the same high school and had the same teachers but we were the farthest thing from friends and quite frankly, I wanted nothing to do with him if he was the kind of guy to date the kind of girl he was dating back then. I never got along with kids my own age because of the fact they act like kids. I've always dated someone older than me with the exception of my husband who is 6 months younger. As the scientists say, girls mature faster than boys - this statement I still find to be incredibly true.

The truth is, mine and Matts first date was July 10, 2016. A few months later I became pregnant most likely the first or second time we slept together. We now have a baby due July 8, 2017. Talk about moving fast, am I right? Neither one of us was ready to get married and right now it feels like neither one of us is ready to be a parent. We are both so scared.

In the last month, Matt and I moved into a new apartment that for a long list of reasons, is terrible and an unhealthy living environment, especially for a baby. Two weeks after living in the apartment, we were ready to give our 30 day notice but because we still aren't sure where we are going to live after, we have postponed handing in the notice. Lately it feels every time we take a step forward it is then followed by two steps back. It's been incredibly stressful for both of us, especially considering I am just over 35 weeks pregnant.

With all these blatant truths I would like to note that although being a young married couple that practically had an arranged marriage is hard, I love my husband more than I've ever loved anyone and it brings me the greatest feeling having him know me like no one ever has. Most of the time we are pretty great together and I wouldn't change that for the world - just like I wouldn't change my Ella for anything, even being scared to death of having a baby.

I know the life I have chosen will not be easy but I know my baby girl will be my pride and joy and I can hardly wait to meet her. I have a feeling she'll be a feisty one. It's hard having a 20 year old male try to understand you when they know nothing of what it is to carry a baby. The other downfall is I have pregnancy induced depression so for the past eight months I've pretty much felt like crap 90% of the time. I do not understand the phrase, "I love being pregnant."

On a final note, I'd recommend dating longer than a few months before getting married. One of the hardest aspects has been the fact Matt was an only child who was spoiled whereas I have two other siblings and we were never spoiled regularly. Matt and I had polar opposite upbringings and because of that we have very different views of the world. I wish the best of luck to any young married couple and my advice for today, never go to sleep angry with each other.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saftey Hazards Aren't Always A Bad Thing

As much as I’d love for the house to be pristine at all hours of the day, it isn’t. And recently, I’ve learned that this is perfectly OK. Just five years ago, I refused to go to sleep unless the house looked flawless and the sink was completely empty. Every surface had to be wiped down, every toy put away, every last dish cleaned. Now, we go to sleep most nights with a sink full of dishes and at least one part of the house in total disarray. Sometimes it’s a carefully arranged doll village set up in my room. Other times it’s glitter and tiny cut-up pieces of paper scattered across the playroom floor, a fort taking over the living room, or some wildly elaborate animal-and-blanket fortress creeping up the stairs. And honestly? That’s okay. On the bright side, the sink is full of dishes because we ate good food together. The doll village exists because my daughters are creating stories, imagining family dynamics, and bonding as sisters. The glitter and scraps of paper mean they’re experim...

The Perfect Man

  I’m pretty sure I just saw the man of my dreams… And now he’s gone… Forever. I was at the post office getting money orders when a handsome cowboy walks in right behind me.   He had a nice brown cowboy hat, blue button up shirt, some rather nice fitting jeans and boots, of course. At that moment I realized something….. I should probably start dressing better. I was wearing a Lion King sweatshirt with black cutoff shorts and sandals. Not even cute sandals, they were basically slides but for a boat. If that makes sense. I stood there in line, trying to look as confident and pretty as possible, but you can only be so pretty with your hair in a bun wearing a sweatshirt and grungy shorts.   I made attempts to steal glances at him, but he didn’t notice. It wasn’t long until I was called up to the cashier and was then having to socialize with the cashier while he printed my money orders.   The cowboy was right beside me with the other teller and all I could do was try to s...

Curve Ball

Back in July, life threw a curveball and I wound up pregnant, quite surprisingly, again. You know when society (and the box it comes in) says the morning after pill works as long as you take it within 72 hours? Well, I took it 12 hours later and it didn’t work. I thought I was being responsible for preventing pregnancy and it turns out life had other plans, and that’s okay. But those of you who would implode if they got pregnant, NEVER use plan B/ the morning after pill. I did some research and found if you ovulate within that window before you take the pill, it essentially becomes ineffective if there are some strong swimmers in there. So $40 later that tiny little thing was pointless. I was about 4 weeks along the process when I figured out what was happening. My period was late, which it had been for the last 5 months due to stress I presume, but something inside me said it wasn’t just a late period. I had an old test lying around. It was about 6am and I decided to take it before my...